A while ago I wrote about baking, cooking, and my awesome banana bread.
Yesterday I made it again (the boy said it was the best he had ever tasted) and I realised I never posted the recipe.
So here it is. I think the original recipe is from a South African cookbook called “Kook en Geniet”.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened but not melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 very ripe large bananas
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts or pecan nuts [optional]
Notes: 1 cup = 250ml
1 tsp = 5 ml
I never add the nuts, but I am sure it can be quite nice.
If you use self-raising flour, omit the baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy
- Add the vanilla
- Add eggs one by one, mix well after each addition
- Sift together dry ingredients, mix into butter/sugar/egg mix
- Mash bananas well and add to mixture
- Pour into small greased and floured bread tin and bake for one hour or until the bread pulls slightly from the side of the tin.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for ~1hour before slicing