Yvonne at Trials in Food posted this wonderful recipe for Peanut Butter cookies. As you might recall, while on break I tend to unleash my ill-formed powers upon the kitchen, and this seemed an easy enough opportunity.
The recipe calls for a mixer, I mixed by hand. It’s notably tough, but manageable.
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature I used baking margarine that was easier to mix
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup peanut butter I used YumYum Smooth
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon It’s not overpowering at all
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1&1/4 cup self-raising flower therefore no baking powder required
- 2 cups oats I used Jungle Oats
- 2/3 cups dried cranberries, chopped*
- 2/3 cups walnuts, chopped*
Can be replaced by raisins, choc chips, M&Ms, etc. I used Smarties the first time (they were awkwardly big) and Trumps Candy Bubbles the second time. I think choc-chips will taste best. The cranberries are a great addition.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F
- Mix together butter, sugars and peanut butter
- Add baking soda and cinnamon
- Beat in eggs and vanilla
- Sift in flower
- Stir in oats and cranberries (etc)
- Drop rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet
- Bake 12 minutes for soft cookies, 20 minutes for crispy cookies
Note: The cookies are very soft upon removal from the oven. Keep cookies on baking sheet for at least ten minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool. Also, they are divine with a glass of milk.
They turned out a little different from the recipe – not nearly as pretty! But they tasted delicious.