Link up with Christine here.
1. I’m listening to the audio of The Martian by Andy Weir and I actually really like it. I got it for my dad as a gift and he LOVED it. I can understand the problems that some people have with it but for me, it works great. Also, the narrator is so good. My favourite line so far: “Hell yeah I’m a botanist!”2. Signups for Ninja Bookswap are now open! I participated in the Spring swap at the beginning of the year and the mini swap recently; and both were absolutely wonderful! This time around there is a regular swap but also a penpal swap. Check it out here.
3. In the same vein, August was a FANTASTIC month for books. I received two awesome books for the mini swap from Nahree, I bought tonnes of books when I went to Cape Town for my leave, loads of books at a local sale, AND loads of books online. Perfection. I need a new bookshelf.
4. I have a few projects going on at the moment: I’m working on a case report, a novel (hopefully), as well as a business project. I can’t really elaborate too much about them at this point but it’s rather exciting. I may also be heaping too much on my plate.
5. I’m participating in the #SOTPSeptemberBookChallenge15 on Instagram. Because bookstagram is so much fun. I’m pretty new to Instagram, and you can find me here.
6. I’m thinking of joining Ultimate Frisbee. It’s a super popular sport (sport??) among the doctors here. Actually, I’ve already been coerced to sign up to a team but so far have used being on call as an excuse not to go. I’m terrified. But also I think it can be awesome. Convince me to suck it up and go already?
7. Santa Shoebox is open for pledging! This is a project that distributes boxes full of Christmas goodies to underprivileged children in South Africa and Namibia. So, kind of like a Ninja Swap! I would highly suggest participating, it is so much fun. If you’re not in the country, or you are too busy to pack a box yourself, there are 2000 boxes for sale online. Visit Santa Shoebox here.
8. Allow me to do some unsolicited advertising: if you’re a South African bookworm, check out Reader’s Warehouse. They are absolutely awesome and if you purchase for over ZAR250 your courier delivery is free. So basically: a South African Book Depository.
9. September: the final four months of my first year of internship. And my old nemesis: Surgery. Just typing that exhausts me. However, doing my first surgery call this past Tuesday was not as bad as expected, soooo… perhaps there is hope.
10. I was sick for most of August and as a result did not run. At all. Except for at work, which you could probably classify as running. Anyway, I ran for the first time again on Monday. It was good. I’m thinking of signing up for a trail run hosted by two small rural hospitals in October. It is 28km… which will be my longest run so far.